ustoo Dead

Sites to see:

Essential
Almost Essential
From the Left
From the Right
Magazines and Journals
Various Weblogs and Pundits
Think Tanks
Data
Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
Shrill Leftist Garbage

 

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

I've been chewed up and spit out 

http://www.onion.com/news/index.php?issue=4107&n=3

This is a funny article, but it is kind of sadly true.
Today ended with Dawud's wake. It started when the boys were pulled for a "Boys to Men" conference. Without warning. Whatever. However, in the middle of an anti-violence speech- a speech about black on black violence- a group of boys, all wearing R.I.P. Dawud t-shirts, turned on some random kid for no apparent reason and beat the shit out of him. They knocked him down five flights of bleachers, kicked his face in, and sent him to the hospital. Irony at its darkest. One of my female students, or a friend of hers, made a disparaging remark about Dawud the other day and a group of upperclassmen came upstairs on a witch-hunt. They came to my classroom and I refused to let them in, even though the girl hadn't even come to class (she was hiding, I'm sure), and they tried to physically move me from my door. If she had been in the room and the administration hadn't finally shown up, they would have carried me away and then ripped her to shreds. she hasn't been back to school. she probably won't be coming back. I still believe in my kids. I am still passionate about social change and justice and I still believe that it all needs to start with equal educational opportunity. I still see far more good in my students and their community than bad, but damn am I tired. I'm going to end this with a plea- a refrain that you've heard from me many times before- find a kid to mentor. Find a school to help. Find a way to give... We need you.

-Jess  17:47 EST | |

About us:

This weblog is an ongoing, if periodic, effort by several friends to stay in touch, in reading material, and in ideas.

Lucky Luciano is a former Italian Stallion real estate hustler and Benedict Arnold CEO turned shady lawyer-to-be. He lives in Denver.

Ben is a Paramedic and would-be philantropist who lives in Denver. He knows everything about nothing.

Fuzzy Dunlop lives in Manhattan. He is more than capable of standing up to the stresses of a high crime urban environment.

Jess is a teacher. But have YOU given her an apple? No, you haven't. You should be ashamed of yourself. This crazy feminist currently rests her copy of Awakening in Jersey City.

Matt is a pariah, iconoclast, and professor of gambling living in Oakland.

Miguel Sanchez is not Lionel Hutz.

Daddy Brooklyn lives in Brooklyn. He hates Republicans, though he wouldn't mind being ensconced in the landed elite of New York City.

Paul just smoked my eyelids and punched my cigarette.

Ziggy Stardust has no past.

Archives
Powered by Blogger eXTReMe Tracker Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com